Friday, September 17, 2010

My Choice in Attitude

This was my input in a newsletter recently to my Mom Connection group:

I was able to connect with my pastor this past weekend as he discussed that ever popular glass of water. He mentioned that he doesn’t view the glass as half-full or half-empty. He just sees a glass with some water in it. I agree. This is life. Both the good and the bad come with the package.

I think half-full or half-empty refers a lot to our attitude in the midst of it all. It is in this area that I often find myself failing. In the moment, I often choose to focus on stress, exhaustion, depression, or even defeat. Rarely, do I choose love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control as I should (Galatians 5:22-23).

It made me think again of 2 Peter 1:3. “Everything that goes into a life of pleasing God has been miraculously given to us by getting to know, personally and intimately, the One who invited us to God. The best invitation we ever received!”

If I truly believed this was the best invitation I ever received, wouldn’t I live in light of the awesomeness of this invitation? I would want to set aside time for my relationship with God. I would covet my time with Him. I would want my relationship with him to grow deeper and I would want to introduce Him to everyone I met. My attitude should reflect this invitation. I need to make the conscious effort to recall the great sacrifice that was made for me and live in response to that.

Every day will bring with it positive and negative. How we respond to each of these moments is our choice. Excitement should overwhelm me as I consider the invitation that was extended to me.

Today as you face what comes your way, will you favor pessimism or optimism? Remember that you have the option to choose joy. Consider everything in light of the fact that you have been invited to know God personally and intimately! Choosing joy is evidence of God in our lives.


So much of our attitude is based on our perspective, isn’t it? What kind of expectations we have on ourselves and others with create part of the atmosphere in our lives. Whether or not we play the comparison game or attempt to keep up with the Joneses cultivates discontentment in our souls.

Recently, I’ve come upon a blog by Gitzen Girl. She has a disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis (she gives the details about it in her blog). Her disease does not allow her to leave her home and it is unfathomable to me when I read about the details of what she goes through. And yet she chooses joy. She knows her attitude is her choice alone and she has chosen joy. Her life is an inspiration to me and a daily reminder that my attitude is my choice. If you are in need of a little dose of perspective, let her help you remember to choose joy!

3 comments:

  1. Great content and expressed very well. I know you love to write. You nailed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about that. You can be a realist and an optomist at the same time!

    ReplyDelete