Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Tomorrow

I'm learning that I like to procrastinate. I think it may be because I pile on too many commitments and I become overwhelmed. Once I am overwhelmed, I don't even really know where to begin... so I don't.

We hosted a birthday party to celebrate my mother-in-law's 70th this Sunday. On Friday, I sat and did nothing. Nothing that related to this bash with about 50 people we were having over, that is. I played around on the computer and washed some laundry and organized some toys - all things that had no bearing on the party. No grocery shopping. No food preparation. No decorating. Nada. Zilch.

Saturday I surprisingly got through the day without yelling at everybody. (My mom was gracious enough to take the kids for a bit so we could get things done.) My goal was to be in bed by midnight. When the clock started ticking away, I could feel the stress level rising. It was my own fault. I had put off to tomorrow what I should have done today. The stress was created because I thought I was going to have to stay home from church to prepare for the party. I didn't want to do that.

I am so glad that I didn't miss church on Sunday. There is something about that community that can revive my soul. I often find myself nodding in agreement with the message presented. This week I was on the brink of tears as my heart connected with what my pastor was saying. We had friends in church who are moving to Texas and I would have kicked myself if I missed that moment to say "goodbye". Church does the body good. I feel my heart, soul and mind refreshed simply because I took about an hour out of my morning to set aside.

It's good to remember that when we set aside time for God, we don't regret it. Not to mention it is usually time for me. I am the one who benefits. I'm the one in need of the relationship with God and the relationships with others. Everything was ready by the time the party started and we had a rewarding day of rest yesterday.

God is reminding me in many different ways that life is good. I need to learn to choose my attitude. I need to learn that tomorrow will be there tomorrow. The past cannot be changed - so don't wallow in it. This moment is where the focus needs to be. For now, that means making some oatmeal for my daughter.

Life is good. The hope of eternal life makes this life so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment