Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thankful Tidbits: Seasons - November 3rd

I think I am one of the rare few who actually enjoy living in the Chicago area. The weather this past October was just about perfect! At the same time, I welcome the way November is boldly warning us that winter is quickly approaching. I love the way the chilly breeze fills my lungs. The fragrance of burning wood floating from the chimneys and permeating the outside air brings back fond memories that pull at my heartstrings. And my children are certain to help me anticipate the holidays and the first snowfall of winter.

Although fall is my favorite and I love the white covering in the winter, I am usually very much ready to welcome spring when it arrives. The heat of summer is also a nice break from the rain. I welcome the dry weather so I don’t have to wonder if the dog will get muddy when I put her outside. I enjoy each of the seasons and welcome the change that they bring.

I am thankful for the changing seasons. It is only when the freeze of winter is keeping me couped up inside that I look forward to the summer. In the heat of summer I remember the relief of the other seasons and remember to enjoy the opportunities to swim outside and bask in the sun with my girls.

It’s the same with life. The changing seasons allow us to say goodbye to the past and look forward to what is to come. There is time for reminiscing and a time for hope. Each season has a purpose and I am grateful for the seasons. Sometimes I wish one could last a little longer or that one would be cut a little short but it is in the one season that I learn to appreciate the others.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 - "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven."

1 comment:

  1. I am with you as being one of the rare people who likes living in the Chicago area. If we didn't have all 4 seasons, I don't know what I'd do! It's nice to look forward to the ending of one season and the start of the next with nature and with life.

    ReplyDelete