Saturday, January 29, 2011

NO!

“N-O!” They are just two little letters that make up a word which pack a very big punch. I hear it from my two-year-old way too often. I use them when the requests of me are just not convenient. And I’m learning to say them when something is presented to me, while in and of itself may be a good choice, but in consideration of the big picture, is not the best choice for my life.

My hope for 2011 is that life will become richer because of this little word, “no”. While I have spoken this word to myself when contemplating exercise or healthy eating, I need to speak it more often when it comes to instant gratification and moments of laziness instead. When I want to say these two little letters to my girls’ requests for playtime because I am busy doing whatever it is I am doing, I need to take more moments like yesterday where I sit and watch their dance “performance” of 10 songs with their girlfriend. And at those moments where I say “no” to my husband because I am too tired, I need to remember that if I used this word more often on the requests of others, he might not have to hear it quite as often.

I am in pursuit of learning this year the empowerment that comes from using the word “no”. Not in the moments it flows naturally off my tongue but more so in the moments where I’d quickly say “yes”. I need to take the time to consider my entire calendar and my family. Taking the time to stop and ask if this is a moment where “no” would be appropriate will probably leave me more fulfilled and less frazzled.

“N-O!” are two powerful little letters when they combine to make a word. Have you considered your use of them lately? Do you need to reprogram your mind and responses with me?

“You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial. Don’t be concerned for your own good but for the good of others.” – 1 Corinthians 10:23-24

2 comments:

  1. Agneta Wiss CarlssonJanuary 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM

    I agree with you... You have to think if you say NO just for saying no. It´s easier to say NO and you think ... that is that...now I don´t have to take once stand(is it the correct words). And it´s easier to say NO to those who is close to you. Isn´t that peculier. It would be on the contrary. But I think I was afraid not to fit in and not been liked. I know I said NO to much to much my girls when they were kids, because I was tired. But not NO when people asked me for help or asked me for example to be member of any association. That wasn´t fair to the girls. And it also made me feel like a bad mother and my energy was low.
    Now I say NO to everything that I know will take energy of me and
    things I´m not interested of.
    I couldn´t do that before I was nearly 50 years old. I had problems to say NO if someone asked me of something. I have also desided me for taking no attention of peoples steeling my energy.
    "You only have one life and it will not be repeted."
    So don´t wait until you are 50. Take care of your life and do what you and your family will do, taking away all that will steel your energy and such things you don´t want to do because someone else ask you to. Love Agneta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take what you have to say of great worth. Thank you for your words of wisdom. I've been thinking of you lately. My love to you.

    ReplyDelete