Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Word "Love"

February is a month set aside to celebrate love. What picture comes to your mind when you think of the world “love”?

It seems as though my children have been sick since the beginning of the New Year. In reality, we’ve enjoyed many days of good health. Still, I find myself throwing a pity party very often and longing for time to myself. As I nurse my children from one ailment to the next, I can’t help but think of my own childhood and the way my mother was always there when I was feeling under the weather. I think of the way she sacrificed herself and went above and beyond to help me feel better. This was one of her many expressions of love for me. When my heart aches for the pain my children are experiencing, I realize that my own mother must have had the same experience as she kissed my burning forehead or held my hair back as I hugged the toilet bowl. Mothers have a way of instinctively knowing how to show love to their children.

When I think of the word love, my mom always comes to mind. While February is full of celebrations, it is also a reminder to me of some very difficult days: the final days of my dad’s battle with cancer. Remembering those days reminds me of love. While “love” reminds me of my mom because of all of her expressions offered in my childhood, it was more blatantly demonstrated in that final year of my dad’s life.

“Love” is the sacrificial way she cared for my Dad. It is the picture in my mind of her sitting near him fighting back her emotions and singing hymns, as she held my Daddy’s hand and waited for him to join His Savior. She was able to give me this example of love because she was in constant communication with God and “God is love.” (1 John 4:8)

My mom is a servant. She knows God’s desire for her life and she lives it out. The fact is that I’m not very good at being a servant. Sacrifice does not come naturally for me. It would benefit me greatly to be more intentional in remembering my mom’s example as I live out my life. For ultimately, it will remind me of the sacrifice God made through His Son. “This is real love – not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice for our sins.” (1 John 4:10)

What picture comes to mind when you think of the word “love”?

No comments:

Post a Comment