Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Comfort in the Uncomfortable

Uncomfortable hardly begins to describe the way I feel. My stomach is uneasy. I watch my hands shake in trepidation. Fear has consumed me. I dread the criticism but hope for approval. It would have been better to remain in my happy place. Wouldn’t it?

I don't like to feel this way. Whenever possible, I avoid it at all costs. In spite of that, I know the unpleasant is often necessary.

My stomach feels uncomfortable when I choose not to indulge its every desire.

The aches of my body make me question the importance of my fitness goal.

Confronting my friend about a topic I know to be essential can be difficult.

I know I need to go there but I’d rather experience the comfortable. It is here that goals remain unaccomplished. Dreams will never be realized. Success will always be something left to attain.

Feeling a little awkward can lead to great benefits. Being ill at ease does not mean the outcome will be substandard. I just need to convince myself of that.

I witness pounds drop on the scale.

I complete a race once thought impossible.

My friendship deepens.

Sometimes, in order to achieve our desired result, we have to walk through the desert. During the course of the storm, we find our strength. Giants can be conquered if we struggle through the battle. Instead of staying comfortable in my happy place, it may be time to accept the challenges, take on the complicated and experience what victory truly tastes like.

"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love." ~ Romans 5:3-5 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment