Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Running and Relying

I'm in my final week of training before the Rockdale Ramblin 10K... and I've got a head cold. Thankfully, mileage the week before a race always tapers. Now, I'm just hopeful I can breathe come Saturday. (Not to mention my request of God for no rain just for the hour of the race - a wet 50 degrees just won't be fun).

I managed to get up and out of bed first thing in the morning to get my miles in both days that I needed to this week. Monday and today I had "short" runs of 3 and 2 miles. Both days I found myself praying for God to help me get through the run (actually I pray this prayer every time I run). As I continued to send up the same prayer over and over again, I came to a realization.

I run because it helps me feel better about myself. If I'm honest, the main reason I run is probably because I get to eat a little bit more without putting on more pounds. Currently, I've been running because I cannot complete a 10K without training. With the race almost behind me, I am faced with the question of whether or not I will make this a habit or go back to making excuses once again.

The realization I was hit with as I cried out to God was that I need to run because it draws me closer to Him. I can't recall a time I've run where I haven't spent time in prayer. Even when it is simply a cry for the run to end. Running teaches me to rely on Him. The discipline required as well as the aches and pains and my feeling of defeat remind me that I need to keep my eyes on God. While running is a small discipline I am learning, it reminds me of a bigger picture.

I'll continue running because it reminds me of my need to rely on God... for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment