Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dummy?

I feel like a dummy.

While watching The Amazing Race with my husband the other night, I could identify with the buried mannequin. On the show, teams worked a staged rescue from an avalanche. As I watched them pull half the dummy still needing to unbury the other half of the body, I felt like that suffocating dummy.

My life gives me the feeling of being buried alive. Some days I think I will never dig out. Every day I am so overwhelmed by the tasks at hand that I don’t even know where to begin.

So often, I feel defeated, unable to even attempt to make a little progress somewhere. Feeling like a failure is one of the many lies I have fallen prey to. I remind others of the Truth, so why is it such a struggle to believe it myself?

Today I am working to overcome the lies. My prayer today is that God will help me to quit believing the lies and start basking in the Truth of His Word. Truth is a key step toward overcoming this suffocating feeling. Seeking help from God goes hand in hand.

I am not a helpless dummy.

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." ~ John 8:32

"I waited patienty for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry." ~ Psalm 40:1

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Tristi! I also struggle with the dummy dilema. Always at home with too much going on and many forgotten promises. But especially yesterday at work when I made a really stupid mistake. Luckily with water and not gas, I didnt get anyone hurt. Since then Ive been walking around with my shoulders slumped. This message has great timing! Its nice to know Im not alone. But even better to remember God doesnt think Im a dummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - Water not gas because I work in a refinery! Didnt know Id come up anonymous, it's Allison by the way :) And after being grilled today my shoulders are slumping again. We are not allowed any mistakes at the refinery, never ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for clarifying Allison! :) Sometimes commenting on blogs doesn't work the way we'd hope. I don't know why it's screwy sometimes. Bask in God's truth when your shoulders start slumping. It's the only way to fight against it! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete