Thursday, May 19, 2011

Third Thursday Thoughts: Favorite recipe



Today is this month’s Hearts at Home blog hop. On the third Thursday of every month, I have the opportunity to write on a specific topic and link up with other bloggers and Jill Savage. This Third Thursday’s Thoughts are prompted by the question, “What is your favorite homemade dish? Share your recipe!”

Lasagna, bread, sausage and all the heavy Italian foods are the delicacies served at gatherings with my mom’s side of the family. My husband came from a Swedish family where the foods don’t contain quite as much spice. While my husband didn’t complain about the pasta I served every night in the early years of our marriage, he did request that I at least use a meat sauce. It took some years to combine the meals we enjoyed.

When I served “skinny” pancakes for the first time, my husband was thrilled that I made a Swedish food. Unbeknownst to me, the pancakes that we rolled up log style, topped with syrup and powdered sugar, were a favorite of his as well. The exception was that his family always had lingonberries on hand. Needless to say, these pancakes (I was now educated originated with his ancestors) became a popular meal in our home.

Expectations of this comfort food come on Christmas Eve with my family, Saturday breakfast, Sunday lunch, or even a weeknight dinner. My children beg for the meal and I have heard no complaints about the alterations I gradually made to use whole wheat flour in the recipe. If you are looking for an easy meal that will be enjoyed by all, cook up a package of sausage or bacon and serve it with these pancakes and some fruit on the side to make it complete.



“SKINNY”/SWEDISH PANCAKES
3 eggs
¾ cup flour (I use whole wheat)
1 ¼ cup milk
1 Tablespoon sugar

Beat eggs until thick and yellow. Add milk. Then flour, sugar and salt. Cook over medium-high heat in continually buttered pan. (Melt a pat of butter each time before you add just shy of a ¼ cup of batter to the heated frying pan.) Serve with syrup and/or powdered sugar or with your favorite berries.

SYRUP
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 tsp mapeline
Bring water with sugar to a boil. Stir in mapeline and remove from heat.

(Note: I double the recipe for my family of 5 which usually leaves some leftovers)

Do you have a favorite recipe?

Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to join the blog hop and get some great recipe ideas

5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of these but they look and sound amazing! What a great brunch idea. I am clipping this and plan to use it when the grandparents come out in June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom always made our syrup with a similiar recipe when I was young (ages ago). I had forgotten that.
    These pancakes look delicious.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look a little like crepes! They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda - It is the syrup we prefer.

    Jill - From what I remember of the one time I tasted crepes, they are a bit the same. I think these are sweeter, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pancakes are a Saturday morning delight at our house.. can't wait to try this fun twist on our normal.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete