Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday's Mullings: You are a Masterpiece




This song by Sandi Patty entitled “Masterpiece” was one that I sung with my brother at my niece’s baby dedication. I was 15 when she was born. This song impacted my heart in a way that I’ve sung it to all three of my girls as I rocked them to sleep as babies. I believe they are God’s special design. It boggles my mind how anyone can look at a little baby and believe they are anything less than God’s creation. I used Psalm 139 on their birth announcements.

“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!”

I think of the way I watched my mom or grandma knit. The thought of their delicate care in their work overwhelms my heart. This is the word picture God gives when he refers to His creation of us. Certainly, I believe that we, as human beings, created in God’s image, are His masterpiece.

My mind wandered yesterday from rocking my baby girls to standing in front of my bathroom mirror alone. “Every time you look into the mirror, you look at a work of art,” my pastor emphasized from the platform. Do I really believe I am a work of art? I know God created me and I believe He did a wonderful job with my girls and even other people in this world… but me… a work of art? I tend to question his handiwork when it comes to the reflection staring back at me. The list of imperfections in my mind are long. I nod my head in agreement, however. I do believe I am a work of art created by the God of the Universe. It’s time I remind myself of this and praise Him for His work rather than criticize.

“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” – Ephesians 2:10

Currently, my intentions are to write this verse along my girls’ bathroom mirror. More importantly, I need to write it on my heart. I am God’s masterpiece. If I truly believe this and live it, my girls will learn to do the same by example.

Pastor Dennis then ended directing our thoughts to an auction. Many pieces of art go for a lot of money. He stressed that “No piece of art has ever cost more than you.” We are God’s artwork paid for by the blood of Christ.

“Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.” – 1 Corinthians 6:19

The challenge: Live up to the price that’s been paid for you.

1 comment:

  1. Well written and well said, Tristi. You are so good at putting your thoughts into writing!

    ReplyDelete