Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Carpe Diem – Seize the Day

It’s January 3rd and my mind is still swirling with my options of resolutions. I want to get to my goal weight. We need to start reaching our financial goals. My family would benefit if I could get my anger under control. It would be fun to have a regular date night with my husband. Someday I would like to progress in my scrapbooking past my middle daughter’s third month of life (she is 6 now). What would it be like if I went to bed every night with a clean house? How would I feel if I exercised every day? I should eat healthier. Practice better dental hygiene. Get back on track with couponing. I’d like to be intentional with writing letters to friends. It would be best if I spent less time watching television and playing on the computer. I need to prevent our calendar from becoming too full. I want to pray more. Listen better. Read more. Eat less. Get back into a running routine. We need to schedule in more time with friends. I want to be more intentional with my children…

Overwhelmed? So am I. The real problem is that the list can go on and on. There is always something I want to change and continually look to some point in the future when I am going to achieve my goals. The other problem is that the future never really quite cooperates the way I expect it to. After saying goodbye to our dads, life needed adjustments. Three children required more adjusting. There’s the school activities and changing friendships. Family is not even a factor I can count on to remain consistent. Always needing to adjust my life doesn’t make for a very convenient routine to establish my “resolutions”.

I think the best commitment I can make for this next year is a simply one. I need to learn to live for today. Quit waiting for tomorrow. The grass may appear greener on the other side but once I get there I’ll look back and see the lush land I’m currently in now. I have no guarantee of tomorrow. Attempting to get there only creates stress. God has promised to be with me today and that is where my focus needs to be. Today I can live with gratitude, offer praise to God, extend love to my family, cherish my friends, live my life the way God directs and open my eyes to the blessings He has sent my way. When I am tempted to start longing for tomorrow, I will look to God and seek His help to stay present in today. Tomorrow can just wait.

“This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” – Psalm 118:24


"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:34

No comments:

Post a Comment