Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Love IKEA




It is time for the Hearts at Home blog hop again. Today’s topic is “Share some tips and hints of things you do around the home that make life easier”.

My first thought was I don’t do anything around my home. That certainly makes life easier! A friend of mine bought me a sign I have hanging up by my kitchen that reads “When I get the urge to clean house, I lay down ‘til it passes.” While this is somewhat true of my life, I also realize that my lack of housekeeping and organization adds a lot of stress to my life.

Many days when I feel as though I have lost complete control of my life, I will organize my kitchen pantry. It’s one of my favorite parts of our home because it is a large pantry and we can stockpile quite a bit in it. At the same time, I tend to throw things in without any organization on a daily basis. That’s when things start to feel a bit crazy. This simple act of reorganization allows me to feel like I accomplished something from start to finish and brings a little bit of sanity back into my day. (I think it is time to do this again soon!)

While there are many things that seem to get out-of-control in our home, there are two specifically where I feel we have made some progress. The first is in the area of toys. It was always difficult to ask the kids to pick up their toys when there was really no designated place for each item. As I went to the homes of different friends, I noticed that several of them utilized IKEA shelving to keep their toys in order. We purchased the large shelving unit from IKEA along with some bins from Target and the toys no longer seem to overtake our home (as often anyway). When I tell the children to put their toys away, they now know where they go.

Papers are the other item my family seems to be swimming in. We have three girls who love to draw and write. This along with school papers and my own mess can begin to overwhelm quickly. With a three bedroom home and three girls, we had some decisions to make on how to divvy up our space. The master suite is ours. That leaves us with two rooms between three girls. Our final decision was to have our girls living dormitory style. They share bunk beds in one room for sleeping. In the extra room, this Christmas, IKEA (or Santa) were very helpful in creating personal desk space for each girl to have. They are responsible for their own desk and are not to go into their sisters’ desks without permission. It’s only been a month but it has helped with the paper pile tremendously!

Although I tend to pride myself in my Italian heritage, I guess this post supports my husband’s pride in his Swedish heritage. Maybe there is something to be said for being Swedish. After all, IKEA has done wonders for my sanity!

5 comments:

  1. I love your idea of creating desk space for your girls and living dorm style as well. We've got 5 kids w/4 bedrooms in use right now and I never know quite how to honor my girls' request for "a space of my own." Thanks for getting my mind spinning today about all the possibilities. Blessings to you and your sweet girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love IKEA too, I can't wait to live in a city with one close by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love LOVE ikea!! I dream of living with one closer to us... we've been debating making a trip to Chicago just for that! ;) Thanks for hopping with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ikea, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bins are definitely a life saver! We've found them to be very helpful in our twins' room, too!

    ReplyDelete