Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Child's Whiney Reminder

What kind of mother am I if I don’t even like my child? These thoughts have consumed my thoughts and feelings more than one morning. It seems like the sound in my house is constant yelling, crying, screaming and WHINING. Running away is an option I have considered numerous times.

Think about it: What do you do with someone who whines at you every moment of every day about everything? Why is it that my kids always think they can do something alone when problems could be avoided if they would simply ask for help? And just how does a parent handle the fact that children in the home + bedtime = interrupted sleep more often than not?
As I watched my daughter pull a toy far too heavy for her to handle off the shelf, it quickly collided with her newly poured beverage before I could reach it. “Why don’t you just ask for help?” I yelled! As I cleaned the drink off the carpet, my thoughts swirled with the frustration of my whiney children. Then I began to wonder what God thinks about my whining ALL THE TIME. I know there is the lengthy account of the Israelites and how their whining in the desert affected them. God has to have some feelings on whiney children, doesn’t He?

Is there some kind of correlation between my children constantly beckoning my presence in the middle of the night and my need for my Heavenly Father? What does God think about the fact that when I wake up in the middle of the night, I need His presence to calm me back to sleep? Could it be that in raising my little ones, God wants me to see a bigger picture of my own relationship with Him?

Instead of getting frustrated with my children for their constant pull on me, why don’t I follow their example and ask for help? Frustration may be the result of my selfish living colliding with my children’s every request but that is not the case with God. He doesn’t need anything. He waits patiently for us to take a step in His direction and then quickly shortens the distance between us. He is the very definition of love.

In my efforts to become a fully devoted Christ follower, shouldn’t the example of God’s parenting begin to exude somewhere in mine? Ideally, my children’s whine should prompt me to turn to my Heavenly Father. As I long for sleep in the night but my child’s cry beckons me to their bedside, God welcomes my cries to Him. And when I think I can do it alone, let me remember all the moments I inform my children of how much better the results would be if they simply ask for help and then take that initial step towards God.

The Bible tells us that the fruit of His Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (Galatians 5:21-23) This is what it looks like to be a fully devoted Christ-follower. And yes, that means in every area of my life, including my parenting and my marriage. It’s time to quit being selfish, time to quit making excuses for why I need to be comfortable and push past the distractions that keep me from pursuing God. For the moments where I don’t find myself liking my children very much, let me thank God that my performance does not determine His opinion of me and ask Him for help in exhibiting the fruits of His Spirit.

As I was getting ready to post this, my daughter came over to me and said, “Mom, I need your help.”How’s that for God driving home His point with me? I need to be reminded numerous times throughout each day that I need to ask God for help. I’m going to choose to let my children’s whiney attitudes be one of those reminders. How about you?

"If you don't go all the way with me, through thick and thin, you don't deserve me. If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me." - Matthew 10:38-39 (MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment