Thursday, March 15, 2012

Mothering Super Powers: March Hearts at Home Blog Hop


"We all have days when we feel like just an 'ordinary mom'. If you could have any super power that would help you in your mothering, what would it be?"

Initially, I was frustrated by this question. It seemed like I needed some creativity to come up with an answer. For some reason, I struggle with using my imagination. Utilizing the resources available to me, I typed “super powers” into Google search and came up with a whole list of possibilities.

“Body duplication” stood out to me as a power I could benefit from. I simply had no idea how very soon I would imagine myself as a super hero with this very power. Yesterday I carried my 3-year-old into the pediatrician’s office, informing my 6-year-old that she would simply have to walk, thankful that my 9-year-old is past the stage of needing to be carried. The doctor had me line all three of my sick little girls next to each other on the exam table. She began to check their ears… clear… clear… clear. Then their throats… clear… clear… clear. As well as their lungs… clear… clear… clear. I couldn’t help but laugh as I attempted to comfort each child at the right moments (especially with the nose swabs).


With the diagnosis of Influenza A in each girl, it is no wonder that this week has been absolutely impossible to meet everyone’s demands… including my own. However, if I were a super hero capable of duplicating my body…


I could get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep EVERY night because one of my duplicates could take care of anything that threatened my slumber.


Holding my children every time they want to be held in the position they want to be held would be easy to accommodate (without bickering of another child kicking them or getting to close, etc.).


My preschooler would no longer be found sitting in the bathroom crying at the top of her lungs because I didn’t hear that she… well, um… needed some assistance.


When my oldest daughter wants me to climb into her top bunk with her just for comfort, the request could be met no problem.


When my middle daughter needs a bucket due to inheriting her father’s gag reflex, I don’t have to worry about whether she will need said bucket as I am in the middle of cleaning it.
I could take care of my own agenda without any feelings of guilt for neglecting the needs of anybody else.


My husband wouldn’t have to hear that I’m too tired… I’d be available to meet his every need.


I wouldn’t have to worry about whether or not I was going to catch the flu in my house when my hopes are to go away with my girlfriends for the weekend to the Hearts at Home conference.


And blog posts would be able to be written without the constant requests beckoning me.
Yes, body duplication would be a wonderful super power to have.


Since I live in reality, however, I have to learn that I cannot be everything to everyone all the time. I have my limits. Weeks like these where everybody needs me and it conflicts with my own agenda, I find myself frustrated. Instead, I should remember that there is someone who can be with each one of us all the time, everywhere we go. When I lift up each request to my Heavenly Father, there is peace in knowing He is in control.


What super power would you desire? Instead of working so hard to earn your cape, should you be turning to God instead?


“I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence!  If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there.  If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night— but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you.” – Psalm 139:7-12

3 comments:

  1. I had trouble with this question too. It seems every super power has a potential downfall. If nothing else, thinking about it makes us thankful to know Christ. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that when we have God in our life, we don't need super powers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a crazy schedule week- three lacrosse games, my older son's birthday and the last few days before Spring at the high school where I work- your post put me at ease this morning. Well done!

    ReplyDelete