Saturday, May 12, 2012

Encouragement from my Husband on Mother's Day


Deep in my heart, I know that things do not bring happiness. Still, I can’t help but experience some happiness as my fingers glide across the keyboard of my day-early Mother’s Day gift. This apparatus that allows me the freedom to type and save my heart has done something for my soul. While the thought of a laptop to call my own is a place I’ve often let my mind wander, it’s quickly been dismissed due to finances and practicality. It just seemed so unnecessary. We have a desktop in the family room that I have priority access to. How would one justify a laptop with those circumstances? I couldn’t help but feel selfish.

When my husband shared the idea of purchasing a laptop as my gift, I brushed it off. All too easily, I get lost in the abyss of thought with the computer, why make it easier for me? It is because this man believes in me and knows the importance of encouragement.
In a season where I’ve struggled to keep my fantasies of writing alive, this gift has ignited my passion. It’s amazing how a little encouragement can kindle the flames of hope. My heart has really wrestled with my lack of education (I never went to college) and comparing myself with others. When I see the perceived genius others display, I can’t help but criticize myself and I’m left longing for their talents. With each comparison and criticism, my aspiration deflates.

Life gets in the way. Little by little, the dream seems to slip through my fingers; farther and farther away from the reach of my hands. And yet it remains: a flicker of hope; the longing that, someone somewhere thinks my passion in something worth striving for.
I’ve convinced myself that my blog began as medication for my weary, hurting heart. It doesn’t have to be read by many. There is no necessity for popularity. All it need be is a safe place where I can run to clear my mind and remember that even though I am in this season called motherhood, I still remain an individual. My individuality as a Child of the Almighty God of the Universe still remains intact... even in the mundane. I still have dreams, desires and aspirations that belong to me alone. My life can still honor and bring glory to my Creator in it all.

“Mother” is a title today that entwined with my calling in a material gift. Sure, it’s just a laptop that I can’t take with me in the end… but for a moment, it has revived my dreams. Even though I was aware the gift was coming, holding it in my hands has fanned into flames the gifts I have been given. Even in my roles as mother, daughter, wife, and friend, I remain a child of God. All these relationships flow into one another centered on the Author of the Universe. And while I am in the season of motherhood, there will be durations where writing comes to a halt. That does not diminish the flame. It just needs to be fanned a little.
Today reminded of the important role we play in the lives of one another. A little encouragement goes such a long way. We never know when a dream is dying away in someone’s heart. When the struggles of life have made them question if they have lost themself entirely, we have the opportunity to sharpen, strengthen and spur one another on to good deeds… with a simple act of encouragement.

If you are in a season of life where you are lost and hurting, I pray you have someone to cheer you on. I hope there is a person who comes alongside you to be “Jesus with skin on” and remind you of who you are. Even in the darkness, our core identity remains. What is your identity?
“Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:23-25 NLT)

“Dear brothers and sisters, I close my letter with these last words: Be joyful. Grow to maturity. Encourage each other. Live in harmony and peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you. Greet each other with Christian love.” (2 Corinthians 13:11-12 NLT)


2 comments:

  1. You have been blogging quite a bit recently...YAY!! AWESOME post, I LOVE READING what's on your mind and what you have to say!! Happy One Day Early Mother's Day to someone I am honored to call my FRIEND!!!! Love you, and keep up the DREAM!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we're friends, too. The "Dream Big" decoration that you gave me sits close by the desktop computer. I'll have to find a nook to make my own (other than the bathroom) and move it there. :)

    ReplyDelete