Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I want more

I want more.

I've recently lost some weight. But I want the scale to show a greater loss.

I have family that loves me. Do they value me?

There are so many friends in my life that I struggle to get everyone on the calendar. Honestly, though, I want everyone to like me. It bugs me to think that there are people out there who truly despise me.

I'm back to running again. Still, I don't feel like I'm in shape. There's a nagging pain in my body. My clothes don't fit well either.

We're far from being in need. And yet, my mind jumps from one thing to the next that we could do... if only... we had a little more money.
My family is looking forward to a little trip to visit family where we'll surprise the kids with a stop at the Wisconsin Dells. But it's not Disney.

The house we own serves us well beyond our basic needs. That's right, we own it (well, shared with the bank anyway). And yet I dream of a 4-bedroom beauty with a library and an office all to myself (I suppose it would be nice if there was one for my husband as well). Oh, and I'd love it to be in the country...

More.

More.
More.

Who doesn't want more?
Those who are without  their basic needs.

The grateful.
Those who have found contentment.

The few who know that none of this satisfies.
Those who have their eyes on Christ.

The only thing they want more of is Jesus.
To be in that place of satisfied contentment where all I want more of is Jesus... that is what I long for.

So in my wanting, I look to Jesus. When I find myself longing, I get real with a heart check on what I long for more. Through my discontentment, I seek God and His truth.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV)

"O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you. My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water... Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you! ...You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy. I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night..." (Psalm 63 NLT)
"A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough." (1 Timothy 6:6-8 MSG)

I was just reading Lysa Terkeurst's blog. Jump over there for a great read on Made to Crave for Young Women and The Boy Questions.

 Here's the verse she posted:

Don’t love the world’s ways. Don’t love the world’s goods. Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world — wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important — has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from him. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out — but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity. (1 John 2:15-17 MSG)
Fitting isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment