Friday, May 11, 2012

Dear Friend,


When was the last time you asked for help?
(A question from (in) Real Life)


Dear Friend,
When life is hard, I want you to know that I am here to help. All you need to do is ask. Whether I am just a sounding board so you can work out your own thoughts or there is something tangible I can do to make life a little easier for you, please know you can ask for assistance. After all, that's what friends are for. You are not alone.

I like to give the appearance that I've got it all under control. You think I am strong and confident because that is what I want you to think. It is the image I work so hard to portray. My friends need to know that I am someone they can come to with their problems without worries of judgment. If we can't be real with our friends, who can we be ourselves with?
So, if friendship means we should be able to ask for help... And I give the appearance that I have it all together (at least that's what I like to think)... Are we experiencing real friendship? In not asking for assistance from you, my friend, I am not being real at all. Because girlfriend, I need help!

I need help. Deep inside, there are the same longings and insecurities in my heart that every woman experiences. I want to be wanted and cherished and needed. I want to know I am surrounded by a community of authentic friends. Don't you want that too?
Then... if you think I have no need for a support system, am I hurting you? I avoid asking for help because I don't want to be a burden in your already busy life... But if your call for help leaves me feeling exactly the opposite of burdened... If your request leaves me feeling needed, wanted and cherished... Can I assume that is how you would feel at my request as well?

Please forgive me for the false facade I've put on in front of you. The truth is that I need a friend at some point every day. At times, all I need is a listening ear or the acknowledgement that someone out there cares about my mundane day. Other times, I need your friendship to be "Jesus with skin on" because I simply cannot do it alone. Your help may be the only thing to bring a little sanity to my day... a reminder that I am not alone.
I desperately need your friendship. I want your friendship more than words can express. I cherish you with the love that Jesus calls us to. And I'm asking for help... because that what friends do.

Love,

Me


No comments:

Post a Comment