Friday, August 3, 2012

Blind Boldness

There is something about this side of the computer screen that brings on a blind boldness. All too often, fingers fly across the keyboard forming words that we slap up on a screen without any thought of the damage they can cause. We become numb to the feelings of others involved in our interaction and excuse it with “These are my thoughts. If you don’t like them; don’t read them.” On one hand, I agree. We are free to choose the blogs we visit. It is our decision what “friends” we keep on Facebook. And while I don’t Twitter, I'm certain most of the random thoughts of others can be ignored if one decides to. On the other hand, God calls us to more.
In all honesty, this boldness we experience with letters clickety-clacking under our fingers is a large part of the reason my blog has been silent lately. Many times as I sit down to write, my mind races through person after person that will be offended by my words. Rather than create waves, I slink back and wait for another topic, another day.

In an effort to keep some activity here during those times, I recommend other blogs. There is no way I can ever make the claim that I am in full agreement with another’s writings at all times (because I have no way of predicting what future writings hold). While I continue to value the messages spoken on these pages, there are moments I cringe and wonder about the author’s thought process in their posts.

This happened recently with  To Love Honor and Vacuum. (In all fairness, Sheila Wray Gregoire did request input from her Facebook fans as to whether or not she should remove blog post.) While I am in agreement with the heart of her post, I still found myself cringing. Even if her post was prompted by the tragedy in Colorado, wasn’t there some other way to bring this topic about? Based on the comments of her readers, she clearly struck a chord. At the same time, I can’t help but think of the feelings of those directly impacted by the shootings (mainly, the little girl’s mother). I’m not questioning the blogger’s motives… just wondering if there could have been more forethought.
Some may argue that I am doing this very thing here by referencing her blog post. Although I shared my thoughts with her on Facebook, maybe I am. I don’t really know. All I know is that way too often, we throw our thoughts up on the computer screen without any consideration to those around us.

Don’t get me wrong… I’m not saying that we shouldn’t speak up for our beliefs. I’m just saying that we need to think a little more often before we “speak”. Would you say it to someone’s face or is it only behind the safety of the computer screen that your boldness comes? I do think there is a place to be bold. And God's Truth will offend. But there is a thin line between boldness and brashness.

What do you think? Do you think social media gives us a false security with the way we "speak"?

1 comment:

  1. "Many times as I sit down to write, my mind races through person after person that will be offended by my words. Rather than create waves, I slink back and wait for another topic, another day."

    Been there...still am many days. I went through a long silence and this was a huge part of it. The way you said it states perfectly how I've felt.

    I'm not afraid to speak the truth. I try my best to speak it lovingly. Recently I was talking with a friend with whom I am not always on the same page. We were talking about "trigger words." There are certain words, as soon as you use them, the conversation is over. The mind is locked...that's it...done.

    I don't want to be one of those guys who turns and preaches to the choir. I want to listen and be heard, to be challenged and to persuade others. These days, those pure moments are too few and very far between.

    My solution for now has been going topical. I have been revived by writing. It has been refreshing.

    Still, lurking in the back of my mind it lurks... "my mind races through person after person that will be offended by my words. Rather than create waves, I slink back and wait for another topic, another day."

    ReplyDelete