Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Exercising my Freedom of Speech

US Constitution Pictures

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Out of curiosity, I "liked" Chick-fil-A on Facebook today. Although I have never eaten at the franchise, I wanted to see what was being said on their page about all this media coverage. The answer: not much. Today's “Appreciation Day” (as well as days in opposition to the restaurant chain) has not been initiated by the company. My understanding is that this week’s hoopla came about due to statements by Chicago politicians in response to Cathy’s (President of Chick-fil-A) boldness in speaking his beliefs.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that. ... We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles." - Cathy

While I can’t speak for the masses in their reasoning for lining up to eat chicken today, I would have joined them if there was a Chick-fil-A in closer proximity. I really don’t think the issue is discrimination as some have yelled loudly about. This has to do with our freedom. Here’s an article at the Washington Post as well as one by MercuryNews.com expressing the same concerns.

At the same time, I cannot deny that I agree that God defines marriage between one man and one woman. The title of this blog is My Identity: A Child of God. I am a Christ-follower and I believe the Bible… all of it. In John 14:15, Jesus says, “If you love me, obey my commandments.” It’s simple really. I don’t get to pick and choose the parts of the Bible I believe. God's Truth hurts sometimes but it still needs to be spoken in love. I don't know President Cathy but kudos to him for not renegging on his statement for the sake of business.

Not sure what the truth is? Take some time to open the Bible and read it. WARNING: Once you do, you will either need to embrace it or deny it. To bear the name of Christ in labeling one's self as a "Christian" means we follow His commandments. So, what do you believe?
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes.” - Romans 1:16

                                                                                                                                  

1 comment: