Monday, August 20, 2012

Made to Crave Mocha?

The aroma of a freshly brewed cup of coffee has always brought with it a sense of calm. There is something about this scent that relaxes my body and brings me back to my childhood. The moments that I had an opportunity to bring a warm mug to my dad while he sat at the dining room table were seldom but memorable. While this fragrance has always brought with it a soothing comfort, the bitter taste it left on my tongue was ever so unappealing.

It was a few years into my adult life that my parents introduced me to a drink at one of the coffee shops located inside the mall. (While my siblings and I were all married at this time, I was not ready to give up my dad's tradition of viewing the Christmas decorations and once again found a way to intrude on my parents' time together.) Not wanting to pass up on a rare opportunity where my dad offered to splurge on coffee for my mom, him, and me, I ordered their drink selection hoping the chocolate might override the bitter flavor of java. Instantly, I found one that not only appealed to my sense of smell, but taste as well.
Unwilling to branch out to other coffee shops, It was a rare occasion that I succumbed to such a treat. It was only within the past few years that my taste buds have craved the mocha to where I found myself navigating the menus of other coffee chains. Needless to say, I am now a huge fan of anything Mocha… anywhere.
This summer, I’ve been in search of a cool caffeinated beverage to splurge on from time to time. Convincing myself that eliminating the whip cream from the drink would bring this delicacy out of the dessert world currently forbidden to me, it has become my “go to”. This brings me to my current heart check.
Here’s the bottom line: I gave up desserts for 2012 to prove to myself that God truly is more satisfying. In treating myself the other day (only because I was without kids and could... as well as including the whip cream), I realized that I was turning to this tasty drink to brink me peace. It was in that moment that I comprehended my need to desire God… and faced the fact that I was only cheating myself. It’s not that desserts are bad. I plan to introduce them back into my life again in 2013. For a season, however, I want to learn that when I am longing for peace, satisfaction or comfort, it is God alone that I need.
When I smell the aroma of coffee, I am reminded of the privilege it was to serve my dad and the great joy and satisfaction that came with it. When I am craving dessert, I want it to serve as a reminder that my soul was Made to Crave God. Attempting to fill that craving with anything else only deprives me of the great joy and satisfaction that comes with it. I want to delight in God alone. In Him is where I will find fulfillment and satisfaction.
So what about you? Do you have a “go to”? Is there a way it can be used to drive you closer to Jesus?

2 comments:

  1. My "go tos" are non fat Java Chip frappuccinos from starbucks. Couldn't even tell you how many times I went through the drive up this summer. I like your idea and I want to implement it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... Java Chip... I'm glad you're choosing to use it to drive you closer to Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete