Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Godly are Generous Givers (HAH Blog Hop)

  The Third Thursday in October means a Hearts at Home Blog Hop. Be sure to hope over to Jill's Blog to read what ideas other moms have to share on teaching their children.




Our girls are 10, 7 and 4. We've attempted to teach them about the 10-10-80 system (10% to God; 10% to savings; 80% for spending). They even have their own individual savings banks designating these allotments. However, we rarely take the opportunity to use them. Our children don't receive an allowance. We don't have a specific system in place to teach our children about money. Here's the bottom line: my children have EVERYTHING they need and some. We are so blessed to have family and friends who shower them with gifts on their birthdays and Christmas as well as randomly throughout the year. It's truly amazing and it allows me the confidence to stash monetary gifts in the bank; away for their future.

While I don't have a tangible example of how to teach children about money, there is no doubt in my mind that I'm still teaching my girls to give. Our girls know that we give. We give back to God. We give to the hungry; the poor; the needy. We give whenever and wherever we feel God calling us to give.

Generosity is the mark of a Christ-follower. We give of not only our money, but our time and ourselves. We want our girls to know that true giving doesn't come from a feeling of guilt and obligation. No one else can determine what we should give. This is between us and God. It is an important lesson I want my girls to grasp. We give because we are so grateful for all we've been given. We give because God gave His Son for us. This is our example.

Sometimes I wonder if I am harming them by not teaching them better how to handle money. The truth is that I am still a work-in-progress when it comes to finances. For now, I'm confident of this: It is my responsibility to teach my girls to give. I set the example. In this house, we don't live for money. Money simply helps assist the way we live.

"The godly are generous givers." - Psalm 37:21b

No comments:

Post a Comment