Thursday, November 1, 2012

Grateful Response


Halloween has barely left our doorstep and Christmas music pulls at my heartstrings as I shop today. I don’t like the way this world pushes us past the beauty of November. This month is my favorite. I’m like my kids in that way. They would each choose the month of their birthday as well.

It’s more than that. Thanksgiving has an entire day set aside for gratitude. We humans have learned to feel a sense of entitlement for everything in our lives. It is so easily forgotten that “every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” (James 1:17)

This November, my challenge is not to set aside one day to give thanks (although I LOVE that we have a day set aside for this.) Rather, I want myself and those I love to realize that life is to be lived in grateful response for what God has done for us. Let’s truly acknowledge Him and thank Him for who He is: Creator, Father, Redeemer, Savior, Friend, etc.

In learning to live a lifestyle of grateful response to God, will we not also find the joy-filled life we so desperately search for?

“Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God.” (Psalm 50:14)

“Giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.” (Psalm 50:23)

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't like to jump ahead either. Wish we could all savor each occasion as it comes...Thanksgiving being among the loveliest.

    ReplyDelete