Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Where's your Hope?


I voted today.

These were the words on the sticker my daughters wore home from school yesterday. It’s the second mock election since my oldest has started grade school. As a fifth grader this year, Nikelle had the opportunity to speak during the election as one of the candidate’s wives. She seized her role and, from what I hear, did a fairly convincing job.

This did not change her disappointment with those who cheered for the opposing party. She was upset that her friends and fellow classmates were not on her side. (My poor child is going to have a very difficult time when she is actually old enough to have her vote count.)

This morning I cast a vote to have my voice heard. I am so thankful to live in America where we have the opportunity to choose our leaders and have our say. Still, I felt defeated walking into the election booth. Not a one of the candidates truly represent me. I understand the thought of throwing our hands up in the air and saying “who cares”. However, when I look into the three sets of eyes that were given me by God and think about the nation they will one day live in, I can’t sit home.

It’s sad to think that this world can actually get worse. My heart hurts for my girls. It’s hard enough to embrace God’s Word and try to live by it on a daily basis today. What will it be like for them? I cling to the words of an old hymn. “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.”

It was this very type of thought that I shared with my daughter in her frustration over the mock election results. Do we put our hope in Barack Obama or Mitt Romney or any other human being for that matter? She knew the answer was “No”. The only way to avoid feeling disheartened with life is to keep our hope in our Savior.

Let’s try to remember this no matter what the outcome of the election. Whoever is elected President is there because our nation, as a whole, has voiced their choice. Pray for our leaders. Then live your life to the full. We may not be able to immediately influence the President of the United States but if one person can impact one person in their life, who impacts another, who impacts another… that is where the revolution begins.

Change starts with me… and I’m choosing to put my hope in Christ.
"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken." - Psalm 62:5-6

"But there’s far more to life for us. We’re citizens of high heaven! We’re waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He’ll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him." - Philippians 3:20-21




No comments:

Post a Comment