Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Please remind me (Reminders from Pecan Tassies)

Pecan Tassies make me think of my dad. He always had a way of making me feel like all the hard work I put into cooking and baking was worth it. While he wasn't a big eater of sweets, there was one year he really enjoyed this treat. As I bite into the ooey-gooey pecan-pie type of cookie, my heart is warmed with memories of my dad.

There are twelve days left in the year. That means I have less than two weeks remaining of saying "no" to all desserts. Tonight, my youngest touched her tongue to her Advent cookie and turned her nose up telling me she didn't want it. My husband has an aversion to all things associated with double dipping, so I knew he would not want the cookie. Not wanting to waste such a delicious treat, I took a bite. Instantly, I felt the comfort I've been set so hard on finding in God rather than in food. I walked over to the garbage can and tossed the rest of the cookie away.

I'm still so far from turning to God to sort my emotions. Desserts give me instant satisfaction. However, this year will not be in vain. I must remember the clarity of mind I have felt in swearing off desserts. There is growth in my relationship with God that I haven't experienced for a long time. I sincerely believe that is because I have denied myself in an effort to say "yes" to God.

In a very short time, I will technically be able to treat myself again. Please remind me of my reason behind saying "no". I most certainly want to continue to seek for fulfillment in God above all else. If that means passing on desserts for the rest of my life, it's that important. As my friends, I ask you: Don't allow me to party alone. If you see me treating myself a little too often with a little too much, remind me of my "why".

"You satisfy me more than the richest feast." - Psalm 63:5

Advent Cookie 19:
Pecan Tassies

Tart shells:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup flour

Filling:
2 Tb butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350*. For tart shells, beat butter and cream cheese. Add flour, mix until a soft dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls into ungreased mini-muffin pans and press dough until dough rises slightly above rim of pan. (Forming a little cup for the filling.)

For filling, mix melted butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Add pecans and mix well. Fill each tart shell. Bake 20-25 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool in pan 3 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when totally cool, if desired.

Yields 24 tarts

No comments:

Post a Comment