Friday, May 10, 2013

I want to be comfortable (5 Minute Friday)

Five Minute Friday
Today I'm linking up with Lisa Jo Baker for a Five Minute Friday. The writing prompt for today is the word "comfort".

This word leaves me longing. I think more than anything in this world, I long for comfort… above all. It leaves my heart twisted because I am well aware of the fact that I am supposed to love God above all. Nothing else. So comfort becomes my god. My idol. My sin. I have fallen short of God’s glorious standard in my pursuit of comfort simply because it has me pursuing everything in light of it.

I curl up on my sofa with a blanket and journal to meet with my God and realize that even in this, I am seeking comfort. I am not on my knees pouring my heart out to Him. I am keeping my toes warm with a blanket, sitting in comfort on my butt, coffee with flavored cream in hand and a bottle full of water within arm’s reach. Comfort is my everything and it is my distraction for pursuing my Creator with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.

I tell my girls that they need to deny themselves in order to be a follower of Christ. This is what He tells us and yet what do I deny myself? When I want to taste something scrumptious, I buy it. If I am tired; I sleep (warm and cozy under my covers or cooled off in the summer with fan and central air). When I am exhausted, I justify checking out in front of the television or with a book.

But God is supposed to be my comfort. He is supposed to be the source of it all. Why is it so difficult for me to turn to the pages of His written word or fall on my knees to beg Him for help in my time of discomfort? This world makes it too easy. I want to be comfortable.
 

2 Corinthians 1:2-7

“May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us.

 

2 comments:

  1. Visiting from Five Minute Friday this morning. I do agree that our world, the US of A, in particular is very comfortable. I guess I feel like there is a fine line we walk...not getting too comfortable with all that needs doing around us, with the hurting and the hopeless we need to reach out to, but also to rest in His goodness to us.

    I have my quiet time in my sunroom, which I'll admit is a very comfortable space. It has windows all around and we're on a hill with woods and lots of wildlife around so I actually feel close to Him in this space, even though it is comfortable. The view reminds me every morning to praise His creation, to notice the color and detail and care in the design.

    I don't want to be conformed to this world, but I very often find comfort in His creation if that makes sense. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort is a BIG word filled with many different thoughts and feelings. You did a great job writing about it.

    ReplyDelete