Thursday, October 3, 2013

Slowing Down to Rest: Waking up Earlier

In effort to slow my day down, I’m waking up earlier. More often than not, I’m tempted to sleep away the quiet of the morning. Even though I know the early hours are my most productive time. There have been seasons in life which I’ve used this time for exercising. During other periods, I’ve chosen to express myself through writing in the wee hours of the day. Still, many days I’ve chosen to dive into the tasks on hand such as laundry and dishes and all there is to do. Thankfully, I’m slowly learning that the most precious hours of my day are wasted on any of these.

Just this morning I wanted to sleep in mainly because I didn’t want the wheels to start spinning yet. Once they get started, it’s hard to get them to stop. I knew the thoughts I planned to communicate today so I turned off the alarm prematurely, getting out of bed and down the stairs. Grabbing my journal and Bible, I was soon immersed in the very thing I needed more of. And honestly, I can never get enough (although I don’t always live that way).

I need to start every day renewing my friendship with God. “I am worn” were some of the words I spilled out to my Savior this morning. As I poured out my heart to Him through prayer and read Scripture so I could hear Him speak to me, I was filled.

I’ve heard this song many times before on the radio but it struck me a chord in me recently.



"When I’m worn…"
"When the weight of this world is too much…"

I need to realign my thoughts with God's.

"Redemption wins."
"He can mend a heart that's frail and torn."

"I'm worn so Heaven come and flood my eyes." It’s in spending time focusing on my relationship with Jesus each day that I have the strength to continue on. I don’t think it matters if it is first thing in the morning or late at night. It just matters that we give Him the best of our day.
 
When do you find time to work on your relationship with our God?

"Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine." - Proverbs 3:9-10 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment