Friday, February 21, 2014

"I'm Hungry"

It's 3:00 p.m. Nikelle should be on the bus coming home from school now. I, myself, am feeling a bit light-headed. Of course, I am not following the advice to drink plenty of fluids either. I'm wondering how she is feeling and praying the way she feels will help remind her that not everyone lives in the abundance we experience. While I ate a pear and have had a couple of glasses of V8 Fusion, the greatest awareness I have right now is the abundance I have access to. I can just grab whatever I want from my kitchen. The children Nikelle is doing this famine project for don't have that option. This will be an event my daughter will likely always remember. Those children in need, however, live hungry every day. Maybe it will change the way we use the word? I hope so.

Too often I say "I'm hungry" and feel the need to put something in my mouth. Having accomplished much today (including some time on the treadmill), I realize it's been a long time since I denied myself much of anything, especially food. It's time to get back to finding prompts to spur me closer to God. Denying myself causes me to stop and turn my eyes to Christ. I need a bit more of that.

"Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it." - Luke 9:23-24

These are the verses I gave Nikelle to ponder at lunch time today:
 
"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life." - 1 Timothy 6:17-19

 
I pray this is much more than an "event" for her. While we can't truly experience what those less fortunate endure, we can obey Jesus to be generous and willing to share. It's not only about the here and now.

 
You can help feed those in need here. Just $35 feeds a child for a month.



No comments:

Post a Comment