This book, in and of itself, is not what leaves my heart
unsettled. But I have felt convicted and it's brought with it some anxiety that,
once again, I need to speak up with my friends. Even in a group where I know I
will receive support on this issue, I feel like maybe I'm just being overly
sensitive? But isn't that the point?
Is
there the possibility that with each book I complete, my heart is a little more
desensitized?
Even
if just a little bit, am I left questioning that God's standards are a little
out of date?
In stretching myself with the books I read, am I also stretching my standards?
Am I settling for less than God's best because... that's just our world these days?
Friends, I don't think I'm a prude. I even read joined the Twilight Mania a little late in the game... but this is not a trend I will jump in on... with any amount of peer pressure. A blog that I've recently started following is called To Love Honor and Vacuum. Her post, Why Kindles can Wreck your Marriage, makes a lot of sense and she speaks what is on my heart.
I believe that we, as women, need to be careful with the reading materials that encourage our imagination. It has the potential of destroying our marriages and our lives. Do you think I'm just being a prude or do you agree that what
we put into our minds effects the way we live? Let's encourage one another to guard our hearts and minds. (Proverbs 4 - Guard your Heart)
“A good tree can’t produce bad
fruit, and a bad tree can’t produce good fruit. A tree is identified by its
fruit. Figs are never gathered from thornbushes, and grapes are not picked from
bramble bushes. A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good
heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil
heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart. So why do you keep
calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say? I will show you what
it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows
it. It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation
on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it
stands firm because it is well built. But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is
like a person who builds a house without a foundation. When the floods sweep
down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.” (Luke 6:43-49
NLT)
Wise thoughts on the dangers of getting desensitized to unwholesome things. I find I do best when I fill myself up with whatever is good, honorable, pure, etc., whether it's in literature or film. I'm proud of you for being courageous in sharing where your boundaries are.
ReplyDeleteIt was a great group last night. My girlfriends are on the same page. Philippians 4:8 is such a great verse when we determine what is appropriate. Thanks for your encouragement!
ReplyDelete